During a press conference at Computex 2019, Intel shared the details of the notebook innovation program, codenamed Project Athena. The corporation has announced a set of requirements and specifications for a new generation of laptops running Windows and Chrome OS.
Project Athena is a multi-year program designed to determine the direction for the development of the entire PC ecosystem and raise the bar for innovation for laptops. The main goal of the project is to create modern laptops for solving everyday tasks of users.
Based on the results of a typical real-day study of laptop users at home and at work, Intel has developed a whole system of "key performance indicators" that will act as a tool for building consumer experience in addition to standard performance testing tools. To better reflect the capabilities of laptops without additional settings, they are evaluated on OEM devices with standard default settings and when performing standard background tasks and running applications.
The first targets were the same high responsiveness when working from the outlet and the battery, 16 or more hours of battery life when playing offline video, 9 or more hours of actual use and the ability to instantly return to working condition — the system exits from sleep in less than 1 second.
Target specifications version 1.0 became the basis for the development of innovations that are expected from the Project Athena program in the future. They include six key areas:
- Instant availability: Connected Standby and Lucid Sleep provide quick wake-up when you open the lid, press a key, or trigger a fingerprint scanner.
- Performance and responsiveness: systems based on Intel Core i5 or i7 with Intel Dynamic Tuning Technology, ≥8 GB of RAM in dual channel mode and NVMe SSD-drive with a capacity of more than ≥265 GB with optional Intel Optane memory H10.
- Intelligence: features such as voice services in the far field and support for OpenVINO and WinML. Future models, based on the tenth generation Intel Core processors, provide extensive support for artificial intelligence on a laptop using Intel Deep Learning Boost technology, which provides a 2.5-fold increase in productivity in AI tasks.
- Battery life: the ability to quickly charge through the USB Type-C port, integration and optimization of low-power components, joint efforts to improve energy efficiency.
- Network connectivity: Fast and continuous network connectivity using the Intel Wi-Fi 6 (Gig +) adapter and optional Gigabit LTE support. Ability to connect to a device with USB Type-C via Thunderbolt 3.
- Form factor: touch screen, high-precision touch panels and more in a thin and light device or in a “two in one” device with a thin frame around the screen.